CD Training for the OHC Standardized Exam
Over the past four years CAOHC has made a concentrated effort to standardize the OHC exam and bring more credibility to the designation Credentialed Occupational Hearing Conservationist (COHC). During this time a Task Force comprised of OHCs, CDs and PS’ have gone through a process to assure that the exam is legally defensible and that the process corresponds with both American National Standards Institute (ANSI) and International Organization for Standardization (ISO) standards. By following a methodology sanctioned by ANSI and the Institute for Credentialing Excellence (ICE), CAOHC has completed the following steps:
- Creation of a Job Task Analysis and deployment of a survey
- Creation of Exam Blueprint
- Creation of Certification and Recertification exam items (questions) from the blueprint.
- Beta testing of the exam items through the assistance of several CD and their volunteer students, using two versions of the Certification exam and one version of the Recertification exam.
- Evaluation of the Beta Testing results in terms of process and exam item performance to determine an appropriate cut-score for each exam.
- Administration of a “Soft Launch” to test the new process.
**Changes Now Effective**
OHC Certification Course Schedule
Audiometric practicum must be a MINIMUM of 150 minutes (2.5 hours) for the 20-hour course and 60 minutes for the 8-hour course. Hearing Protection practicum must be a MINIMUM of 60 minutes for the 20-hour course and 30 minutes for the 8-hour course.
Unlike the audiometric and hearing protection practica, there are no mandatory times assigned to the instruction of the 11 exam domains. Suggested times are provided and encouraged but individual CDs may adjust the schedule according to their needs. Certification courses must include a MINIMUM of 20 hours instruction including all required practicum and examination time.
CAOHC strongly recommends limiting instruction time to 8 hours per day as it may cause a strain on the attention and comprehension of the students, and strain the instructors as well.
Course Directors revised faculty policy
CDs will continue to provide the appropriate faculty. The CD must be physically present during the entire course. Practicum assistants must be physically present during the audiometric and hearing protection practica.
- The faculty of the certification course must include a minimum of three (3) different professional disciplines as represented on the CAOHC Council
- Instruction provided by faculty, other than the CD, may be presented in teleconference or Skype, webinar, or CAOHC-approved video curriculum.
Course Directors will no longer create their own exam
- All CDs MUST administer the OHC standardized Certification and Recertification exams according to CAOHC Policies and Procedures
- The CAOHC exam bank is now closed
- CAOHC Administrative office will send exams to CD for all courses
- DoD Course Directors are not required to use this exam unless DoD certification or recertification course candidates wish to be recognized by CAOHC.
Course Directors no longer score their exams; all OHC Standardized Certification and Recertification Exams are scored by the CAOHC administrative office
- All exams will be scored by the CAOHC administrative office
- CDs no longer submit a student roster
- Note DoD courses that do not use the OHC Standardized Certification or Recertification should continue to submit a student roster
- OHC exam results are delivered by the administrative office to the OHC only
- OHC score report notification will be delivered by the administrative office to the OHC
- Exam results are automated and can now be found in the CD Resources section of the CAOHC website. The exam results report includes:
- Total number of candidates that pass the certification and/or recertification exam per course
- Individual course high score, low score and median score
- Individual course results for exam domain performance percentages
- Aggregate report of course domain task performance percentages
Course Directors will pay for all students when exams for each course are submitted
- All fees must be submitted when exams are returned to CAOHC's administrative office (special circumstances are taken into consideration)
- OHC FEES INCREASE June 1, 2014 to $75.00
- Military OHC fees $45.00
- COURSE APPROVAL FEES $15.00
If you have not participated in a training session please contact the CAOHC administrative office for further information or participate in the training by listening to a recording of the presentation by clicking here.
Contact the administrative office for further details and any questions: call (414) 276-5338 or email Kim Stanton at firstname.lastname@example.org.