February 14, 2018- Orlando, FL
The Course Director workshop is being held in conjunction with the National Hearing Conservation Association Conference (NHCA), as a pre-conference workshop. This all-day event includes pre-read material and the Hearing Conservation Manual 5th Edition.
The Course Director (CD) Workshop consists of eight hours of focused training and an exam intended to prepare CDs for successful preparation and conduct of the 20-hour Occupational Hearing Conservation (OHC) certification and 8-hour recertification courses. CD certification and re-certification are granted for five years.
- Developing course curricula that meet CAOHC’s current requirements for OHC certification and recertification courses
- Understanding procedural actions of a CD required by CAOHC before, during and after CAOHC-approved OHC courses
- Implementing contemporary and motivational teaching techniques and resources (including those provided by CAOHC) for effective hearing conservation training
- Recognizing how recent changes in federal hearing conservation regulations influence the conduct of CAOHC-approved OHC courses
- Preparing instructional materials that incorporate recent scientific and technical advances in hearing conservation for use in training conducted by CDs and OHCs
Certified audiologists, industrial hygienists, occupational health nurses, speech-language and hearing professionals, safety engineers and noise-control engineers.
Training and/or Activity Renewal Requirements and Options
- Before the expiration of current CD status, submit the Course Director Renewal application and current renewal fee.
- Fulfill the criteria outlined in either OPTION 1 or OPTION 2 and successfully pass the CD examination, during the designated times, before the end of the five-year credential term:
- Complete the eight-hour CAOHC CD training workshop.
- Complete the on-line examination with a passing score of 80% or higher.
- Complete the on-line examination with a passing score of 80%or higher.
- Fulfill at least two of the following items during the applicant’s five year credential term:
a. Serve as CD for a minimum of 10 OHC courses with no substantiated violations of CAOHC policies and procedures.
b. Actively participate on a CAOHC committee or task force for at least two full years. Active participation means attendance at scheduled conference calls and contribution to committee projects.
c. Submit and have accepted for publication, a minimum of two articles in CAOHC’s newsletter Update.
d. Accrue a minimum of 10 continuing education contact hours related to Occupational Hearing Conservation.
e. Participate as an approved instructor in one or more CAOHC sponsored CD workshops.
Renewing CDs will have thirty business days to successfully complete the renewal on-line examination, during designated times, upon submission of their renewal application or at the end of the CD training workshop.
- Renewing CD applicants will have two opportunities to achieve a score of 80% or better.
- CDs that do not pass the examination after two attempts will be required to retake the CD training workshop and pass the CD examination.
Pamela duPont, MS CCC-A CPS/A
LTC J. Andrew Merkley, AuD CCC-A CPS/A
8101 World Center Dr.
Orlando, FL 32821
- The Caribe Royal hotel rate for NHCA attendees is $189 + tax per night.
- The conference will begin with Thursday workshops and concluding Saturday after general sessions!
- Departure air reservations should be made after 6:30 p.m.
- Attire for the conference and functions is Business Casual unless otherwise noted for special events.
Online Hotel Reservations - NHCA attendees (Click Here) (Must be reserved by January 14, 2018)
Reservations can be made by contacting the hotel directly at 1-888-258-7501 or 407-238-8000. To receive the group rate, attendees must identify themselves as attendees of the NHCA group at the time of booking.
- Map of the Hotel
- Hotel check in 4:00 PM & check out is at 12:00 PM.
- Smoke Free Policy
- Room Service hours 6:00 AM- 12:00 AM
- Hotel does NOT provide shuttle service
Walt Disney World® area - 1.5 miles
International Drive - 1 mile
SeaWorld Orlando® - 6 miles
Orange County Convention Center - 6 miles
Universal Studios Resort™ - 10 miles
Orlando International Airport (MCO) - 16 miles
Orlando/Sanford International Airport (SFB) - 47 miles