Course Director (CD) Renewal
What is a renewing CD? Renewing CDs are individuals who have maintained their status as CAOHC-approved CDs for the past five years and have met all application requirements.
What is necessary for CD renewal? Applicants must submit an application with all applicable documentation and fees, meet renewal criteria, re-sign the non-disclosure agreement, and achieve a passing score on the CD examination.
Professional Requirements for Renewal
- CDs seeking renewal will document the professional and credential requirements described in the "How to Become Certified as a CD" section.
Course Directors who are COHC's
- In order to preserve the integrity of the standardized written examination, approved Course Directors who wish to maintain their COHC credential will submit a COHC application to CAOHC (front section of the standardized written examination answer sheet) along with recertification fees, but are not required to take the recertification workshop or standardized examination.
- Course Directors are not permitted to view the standardized written examination (certification or re-certification).
Training and/or Activity Renewal Requirements and Options
- Before the expiration of current CD status, submit the Course Director Renewal application and current renewal fee.
- Fulfill the criteria outlined in either OPTION 1 or OPTION 2 and successfully pass the CD examination, during the designated times, before the end of the five-year credential term:
- Complete the eight-hour CAOHC CD training workshop.
- Complete the on-line examination with a passing score of 80% or higher.
Register to take the Exam Only
- Complete the on-line examination with a passing score of 80%or higher.
- Fulfill at least two of the following items during the applicant’s five year credential term:
a. Serve as CD for a minimum of 10 OHC courses with no substantiated violations of CAOHC policies and procedures.
b. Actively participate on a CAOHC committee or task force for at least two full years. Active participation means attendance at scheduled conference calls and contribution to committee projects.
c. Submit and have accepted for publication, a minimum of two articles in CAOHC’s newsletter Update.
d. Accrue a minimum of 10 continuing education contact hours related to Occupational Hearing Conservation.
e. Participate as an approved instructor in one or more CAOHC sponsored CD workshops.
Renewing CDs will have thirty business days to successfully complete the renewal on-line examination, during designated times, upon submission of their renewal application or at the end of the CD training workshop.
- Renewing CD applicants will have two opportunities to achieve a score of 80% or better.
- CDs that do not pass the examination after two attempts will be required to retake the CD training workshop and pass the CD examination.
Renewal Extension Requirements
- CDs who are unable to renew their credential by the expiration date may request an extension. Extensions may be granted on a case-by-case basis not to exceed six months after their renewal date.
a. Requests for extension must be received by CAOHC no later than 30 days in advance of the CDs credential expiration date.
b. If granted, CDs may continue to conduct OHC courses during the extension period.
c. The recertification date for CDs with extended certification will be five years from the original expiration date.
d. CDs who do not request an extension as noted above must apply for reinstatement by completing the same process required for a new CD candidate.
e. Requests for extension due to failure to pass the CD examination will not be considered.
Register to take the Exam Only