The Course Director certificate will be awarded upon fulfillment of the following requirements:
- Demonstration of adequate educational and professional background as specified below.
- Demonstration of an appropriate credential/license, and continuous possession thereof throughout the certification period, as specified below.
- Demonstration of significant appropriate experience in the field of occupational hearing conservation as specified below.
- Submission of an application form and required fee, and approval by a Screening Committee.
- Signed and dated statement of agreement, verifying that information supplied to CAOHC is accurate, and agreeing to adhere to CAOHC conditions.
- A letter from your supervisor(s) outlining your experience and the number of hours devoted exclusively to occupational hearing conservation within the past 5 years. (Use the supplemental form). If you do not work under a supervisor or you manage your own business, please complete the employment supplement form as necessary and include a letter from a professional colleague attesting to experience and number of hours devoted to occupational hearing conservation.
- Completion (within 12 months of Screening Committee approval) of an eight-hour CAOHC Course Director certification workshop (registration brochure available below) or an equivalent course approved in advance by CAOHC.
- If your application is received 30 days prior to an upcoming workshop and you are approved to attend a $25 US late fee will be assessed.
To meet the educational/professional requirement, candidates must demonstrate that they have been certified by one of the following organizations (or equivalent):
American Board of Audiology (ABA)
American Board of Industrial Hygiene (CIH)
American Board of Occupational Health Nurses (COHN)
American Board of Otolaryngology
American Board of Preventive Medicine (In Occupational Medicine)
American Speech-Language-Hearing Association (Audiology) (CCC-A)
Board of Certified Safety Professionals (CSP)
Institute of Noise Control Engineering
Satisfactory documentation is required.
Course Directors must continuously possess one of the following qualifications:
- Current licensure by a state or territory of the United States for the practice of medicine or nursing, or
- Current licensure or registration by a state or territory of the United States for the practice of audiology, or
- Current certificate of clinical competence in audiology by the American Speech-Language-Hearing Association, or
- Current board certification in audiology by the American Board of Audiology or
- Current board certification by the American Board of Industrial Hygiene or Board of Certified Safety Professionals, or
- Current membership in the American Industrial Hygiene Association or the American Society of Safety Engineers.
Applicants from outside the U.S. who do not meet one of the criteria mentioned above must meet the requirements of their local jurisdictions for professional practice, and are subject to approval by the Screening Committee.
The experience requirement may be satisfied in the following ways:
- A minimum one-year experience in occupational hearing conservation and 1,000 hours devoted to hearing conservation within the past five years, or
- Participation as faculty in 4 separate CAOHC-approved courses and a minimum of 1,000 hours devoted to occupational hearing conservation within the past five years.
Note: All occupational hearing conservation activities must be performed in accordance with applicable state/federal regulations and any professional licensures/certifications, in order to fulfill the experience requirement.
The fee payable to CAOHC for certification application is $175.00 US (non-refundable).
Your application will not be considered complete until you have provided ALL OF THE FOLLOWING:
1) Application Form
3) Supervisor Verification
4) Mailed or Faxed Copy of your Current Credentials and/or License
The final decision regarding eligibility for certification and recertification rests with the CAOHC Council.