CAOHC Course Director Workshop
August 1, 2020 - Joint Base McGuire-Dix-Lakehurst, NJ - Army Public Health Center (APHC) event
The Course Director (CD) Workshop consists of eight hours of focused training intended to prepare candidates to teach their own students about all aspects of an Occupational Hearing Conservation (OHC) program. Special attention will be paid to adult learning teaching methods and how to conduct both the hearing protection and audiometric practicum sections of an OHC course.
CD certification and re-certification are granted for five years.
Course curriculum will include guidance in the following areas:
- Developing course curricula that meet CAOHC’s current requirements for OHC certification and recertification courses
- Understanding procedural actions of a CD required by CAOHC before, during and after CAOHC-approved OHC courses
- Implementing contemporary and motivational teaching techniques and resources (including those provided by CAOHC) for effective hearing conservation training
- Recognizing how recent changes in federal hearing conservation regulations influence the conduct of CAOHC-approved OHC courses
- Preparing instructional materials that incorporate recent scientific and technical advances in hearing conservation for use in training conducted by CDs and OHCs
This workshop is ONLY intended for DoD (Army, Navy, air Force, National Guard and Reserve) civilian and military personnel, who meet the CAOHC standards for approval as a Course Director. Contractors are restricted from this workshop.
*Note: Pre-read assignments will be emailed to each participant once they have registered for the workshop. Workshop material will be made available via a jump drive the day of, so please bring a laptop with you to the workshop.
LTC John A. Merkley, AuD, CCC-A, CPS/A
LTC Amy Blank, MS, AuD