CD Training and Certification
Prerequisites to Becoming Certified as a Course Director (CD)
1) Credential/License Requirements
Applicants must document a current license, registration or membership with one of these jurisdictions or organizations:
- Current licensure by a state or territory of the United States for the practice of medicine, nursing or audiology
- Current membership in the American Industrial Hygiene Association
- Current membership in the Institute of Noise Control Engineering
- Current membership in the American Society of Safety Professionals
2) Current Certification:
Applicants must document a current certification from one of these organizations:
- American Board of Audiology (ABA)
- American Board of Industrial Hygiene (CIH)
- American Board of Occupational Health Nurses (COHN)
- American Board of Otolaryngology
- American Board of Preventative Medicine in Occupational Medicine
- American Speech-Language-Hearing Association (Audiology) (CCC-A)
- Board of Certified Safety Professionals (CSP)
- Institute of Noise Control Engineering (INCE Bd.Cert.)
3) Current Membership:
Applicants must document a current membership from one of these organizations:
- American Academy of Audiology (AAA)
- American Association of Occupational Health Nurses
- American Academy of Otolaryngology-Head & Neck Surgery
- American College of Occupational and Environmental Medicine
- American Industrial Hygiene Association
- American Society of Safety Professionals
- American Speech-Language-Hearing Association
- Military Audiology Association
- Institute of Noise Control Engineering
4) Required Experience
New applicants must fulfill both of these requirements (this is not needed when re-certifying):
- A minimum of one year equivalent (1,000 hours) work experience in occupational hearing conservation activities, within the past five years (documentation required). Please have your supervisor provide a letter attesting to your 1000 hours of experience.
- Participation as adjunct faculty and practicum assist under the direct supervision of a CAOHC-approved Course Director (CD) for one 20-hour course including all responsibilities (per the Course Director Policies & Procedures listing). A letter of verification from the leading CD is required.
To apply to the CD workshop:
- Find a workshop by clicking here.
- Fill out the application and pay the associated fee.
- Participants must pass the course exam to become certified.
Applicants who have not met all requirements may attend the CD workshop, but CD status will not be granted until all requirements are met. All OHC activities must be performed according to applicable state/federal regulations and any professional licensures/certifications.